Browsed by
Category: Community

Warmshowers connects tired cyclists with local hospitality

Warmshowers connects tired cyclists with local hospitality

[youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vy8U15sFom0&w=560&h=315] It’s kind of like couch-surfing, but only for people on bicycles. Nothing beats a home-cooked meal and a warm shower at the end of a long day in a bike saddle. For most bike travellers, these are rare luxuries, hard to find in a roadside campground. That is why an organization called Warmshowers was created. The online community connects weary cyclists with friendly hosts who know what it’s like to feel worn out and in need of…

Read More Read More

Edible-garden strategy planted by Cornwall city council

Edible-garden strategy planted by Cornwall city council

Coun. Carilyne Hebert successfully got city council to begin laying the groundwork for an edible landscape strategy for Cornwall during its meeting on March 26. Getting the city to start planting and harvesting edible plants in its various public gardens, flower beds and green spaces has been Hebert’s pet issue on council for the past couple of months. The councillor appears to be angling to make the creation of an edible planting strategy for Cornwall the legacy of her time…

Read More Read More

The town that’s found a potent cure for illness – community

The town that’s found a potent cure for illness – community

It could, if the results stand up, be one of the most dramatic medical breakthroughs of recent decades. It could transform treatment regimes, save lives, and save health services a fortune. Is it a drug? A device? A surgical procedure? No, it’s a newfangled intervention called community. What this provisional data appears to show is that when isolated people who have health problems are supported by community groups and volunteers, the number of emergency admissions to hospital falls spectacularly. Read…

Read More Read More

Karim Sulayman – I trust you

Karim Sulayman – I trust you

“For me, one of the key things that needs to underpin our work and our movements over the next 4 years is empathy.  According to Roman Krznaric in his book ‘Empathy: why it matters and how to get it’, empathy is: “The art of stepping imaginatively into the shoes of another person, understanding their feelings and perspectives, and using that understanding to guide your actions”. …it is clear the empathy needs to come from us.  As does the rebuilding of…

Read More Read More

Inner Transition: an introduction

Inner Transition: an introduction

To me, getting to the heart of inner transition is about understanding our own dual nature: if we feel threatened we are likely to get in a mode of fleeing the scene, aggressively fighting for what we want or just freezing. But absent the feeling of threat we are calm, relaxed, loving and often generous. The prospect of having less fossil fuel or money to go round puts most people into threat mode. But in threat mode we are not…

Read More Read More

Why You Should Start a Cooking Club and How to Do It

Why You Should Start a Cooking Club and How to Do It

A year’s worth of tomato sauce. Whether it’s because of the labor involved, the economies of scale and bulk buying, or the enormous fun to be shared, some recipes and kitchen projects benefit heavily from a collective effort. This is why I love being a member of a cooking club. What Is a Cooking Club? A cooking club is a group of people who gather together on a regular or semi-regular basis to take on a large cooking project or…

Read More Read More

12 Agrihoods Taking Farm-to-table Living Mainstream

12 Agrihoods Taking Farm-to-table Living Mainstream

Called ‘agrihoods,‘ this new type of neighborhood serves up farm-to-table living in a cooperative environment. Instead of being built around a pool, tennis court or golf course, these housing developments are centered around a farm, often using the sweat-equity of residents to create a sustainable food system for the entire community. Of course, community gardens, urban agriculture, and cohousing communities are nothing new. But as the rapidly growing crop of agrihoods demonstrates, families are eager to reimagine these collaborative efforts in a new setting–often at the same…

Read More Read More

The Good Life? It’s Close to Home

The Good Life? It’s Close to Home

Rebuilding families and neighborhoods around the gifts each of us offers. Consumer society has put an end to the functional family. We normally think of consumerism as buying stuff we want but don’t need, but it runs deeper than that. The essential promise of consumerism is that all of what is fulfilling or needed in life can be purchased—from happiness to healing, from love to laughter, from raising a child to caring for someone at the end of life. What…

Read More Read More

Are Positive Stories Enough?

Are Positive Stories Enough?

One question has cropped up repeatedly: In a world filled with melting ice caps, war, species extinctions, and economic peril, how can I possibly argue that the small-scale actions I write about can transform the bigger picture for the better? Belief in the possibility of change is a huge if intangible positive. So, too, is the proliferation of new social and economic models – from commoning, transition, and sharing, to local money, off-grid energy, and maker spaces. These are the infrastructure of…

Read More Read More